Imerovigli Population according to Census 2001: 503
is a traditional village
and it is the extension of Fira
but is situated on a higher cliff
. The name comes from the word "vigla"
which means "day"
. In front of the village is located an enormous rock called Skaros
. Until 1800
, Skaros was part of the land and had a castle
on it where all the administrative offices
of the island were resided
there. The village was almost totally destroyed
in the earthquake
the cliff-edge houses were abandoned but a tourist trade started up
again in the 1970s. Today, is a beautiful and quiet village
and also one of the most expensive areas in Greece