The highest spot of the island (567 meters) is located between Pyrgos and Kamari. The Mountain's name is Profitis Ilias (Prophet Elijah), coming from the Monastery with the same name on its peak. From this vantage point, you will enjoy a striking view of the entire island, from the patchwork agricultural plains to the hilltop village of Oia.
The Monastery was built in 1712. The walls round the Monastery remind of a fortress.
The history of Profitis Ilias is long and very important for the life of Santorini during the centuries.
In earlier times, owned its' own ship which conducted private business for the benefit of the monastery and at the same time the Monastery was an active intellectual and patriotic influence. From 1806. to 1845. it ran a school where the Greek language and literature were taught. The monastery's decline began in 1860; buildings suffered serious damage in the 1956 earthquakes.
The monastery today has an important collection of icons and bibles, and artefacts of the Greek Orthodox religion, ecclesiastical objects, books and ethnographic material.
It also hosts displays on shoemaking, printing, candle making, wine making and of typical local food.